Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Tue Oct 16 16:43:22 EDT 2007

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Allow me to share three updates about activities in the Needham Public
Schools:

•  Astronaut Suni Williams will be honored later this month in the schools
and in the community as part of a welcome home celebration.  Suni grew up
in Needham, attended the Hillside Elementary and Newman Middle Schools
before graduating from Needham High in 1983.  She then attended the United
States Naval Academy, and following graduation reported to Naval Aviation
Training Command.  Suni was assigned to Helicopter Combat Support and made
overseas deployments in support
of Desert Shield and Operation Provide Comfort.  NASA selected Commander
Williams for the Astronaut program in June 1998.

The town's Suni Williams Celebration will begin at 9:00 a.m. Saturday,
October 27th, with a short procession from the Fire/Police Station on
Chestnut Street to Town Hall.  Suni will then be congratulated and
welcomed by local officials, visiting dignitaries, and most important, the
citizens of Needham.  The celebration will include performances by the
Needham High School marching band, Pollard Middle School Treble Choir, and
the Highland Glee Club singers.  Refreshments will be served as Suni meets
and greets with all who attend.  Please plan on welcoming Suni home to
Needham on Saturday, October 27th.

•  This evening, the Needham School Committee will hear a presentation
about the proposed Needham Public Schools Mission, Vision, Values, and
Goals for the 2007-08 school year.  As you may know, the school community
has been working over the last year to discuss, shape, and articulate core
values and goal statements that reflect our work with students.  You may
view the proposed mission, vision, values, and goals document at the NPS
website:
http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/pdf_downloads/Proposed_District_Goals.pdf

There will be a Community Forum to present and discuss the proposed values
and goals on Thursday evening, November 1st at 7:00 p.m. at Broadmeadow.
Please join us to learn more about the goals and share your feedback and
ideas.  I will ask the School Committee to vote on the proposed values and
goals at their November 6th meeting.  If you wish to share a comment about
the values or goals, please email the School Committee:
schoolcommittee at needham.k12.ma.us

You may also post a comment online:
http://district.needham.k12.ma.us/ssc_school_com_comm.htm   Your input is
welcomed and encouraged!

•  In addition, the School Committee will host an informal Open House at
Needham High School at 9:00 until 11:00 a.m. Saturday, November 3rd.  The
purpose of the Open House is for interested parents and community members
to drop in and chat with School Committee members in an informal setting
and share ideas and concerns.  Students will also be available to provide
brief tours of the new wing of the high school.  Please join the School
Committee for conversation and a cup of coffee.

As always, please let me know if you have a question or comment.  My phone
number is 781.455.0400 x203 or you may email me at
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

As I begin my second year in the Needham Public Schools, please know that
I continue to be incredibly impressed with our students and the support
you provide them and their teachers each day.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools