Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Nov 21 16:40:42 EST 2007

Dear Parents and Guardians:

A few updates to begin the Holiday weekend:

•  Last evening the School Committee approved the 2008-09 academic
calendar.  The calendar includes additional time for professional
development for the staff and places the full professional development day
(no school for students) on Election Day, Tuesday, November 4, 2008
(instead of the Monday after the Thanksgiving holiday weekend).  The
calendar includes two, two hour delayed opening days and nine early
release days for staff professional development, all on Tuesdays during
the school year.  Please review the calendar carefully when making family
vacation plans.  You may view and print a copy of the 2008-09 calendar at
the district's website:
http://district.needham.k12.ma.us/gi_calendar_pupil_08_09.htm

•  A recent conversation with Police Chief Tom Leary about a St. Joe's
student who reported to the police that a stranger in a car passing by the
student was acting strangely has prompted me to remind parents:  Make sure
you gently remind your children about the importance of their personal
safety walking to and from school and around town.  While we are not aware
of any dangerous or suspicious activity, it is always a good idea to check
in with children about riding alone with strangers and sharing with them
your expectations for communicating with you, a teacher, or the police in
the event of an emergency or unsafe situation.  The tragic events of
Friday, November 2nd have also prompted me and the principals to think
carefully about ways to improve our communication strategies and efforts.

•  Congratulations to two Needham High School students, Jessica Yao and
Kevin Potterton, who last evening received the Massachusetts Association
of School Superintendents' (MASS) Award presented annually to two
outstanding seniors who have demonstrated exemplary academic success in
high school.  These two young people, both of whom are at the top of their
class, clearly represent the finest of our students, and their hard work
and passion for learning reflect the values of the Needham Public Schools:
 Scholarship, Citizenship, Community, and Personal Growth. Thanks to their
teachers for encouraging them and to their parents for supporting them.

Lastly, let me wish you and your families a peaceful and restful
Thanksgiving Holiday.  I am looking forward to spending time with my three
beautiful daughters (Elyse, Claire, and Nora) and loving (and very
patient) wife, Karen.  I am very thankful for them!

I am also thankful to work with a talented staff, committed parents, a
supportive community, and extraordinary young people just like Jess and
Kevin.  I have a great job in a great town, and I appreciate the
opportunity you have given me.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Needham Public Schools
781.455.0400 x203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us