Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sun Jun 10 09:34:11 EDT 2007

Dear Parents and Guardians:

•  330 members of the Needham High School Class of 2007 received their
diplomas at Babson College this past week during the Graduation Exercises
attended by faculty, family, and friends.  The graduates beamed throughout
the ceremony as each one received his or her diploma from Principal
Richards and members of the School Committee.  In addition, last Sunday
during the traditional Class Day, over $180,000 in scholarships and honors
were awarded to deserving NHS seniors.  These scholarships represent the
community's continued support and commitment to the young people of
Needham High School.  It was a warm, touching, and spirited celebration
for the finest young people around.  Please check out Graduation photos
and speeches at the Needham High School website:
http://nhs.needham.k12.ma.us/graduation/graduation2007/graduation2007.html

•  Faculty members, students, and parents have recently participated in an
exercise designed to stimulate thinking around the district's values and
vision.  At several recent PTC meetings, for example, parents were asked
to brainstorm key words and phrases that best describe what is most
important in the Needham Public Schools experience.  The District
Leadership Team, comprised of principals, directors, and central office
administrators, has reviewed the lists of hundreds of words and ideas and
determined that the following key themes include:
	-academic excellence
	-reflective and compassionate learning
	-global citizenship
	-social and emotional competence
	-integrity
	-student-centered learning and growth
	-risk-taking
	-high expectations with high support
	-sense of community and service

Over the next several weeks, I will work with the School Committee and
staff to refine and focus these ideas so that we may determine which three
or four core values are most meaningful and reflect our work in the
Needham Public Schools.  In the summer and the fall I will ask the
principals to engage teachers and staff in the development of goal
statements and objectives that reflect the core values. Ultimately, it
will be the School Committee's responsibility to review and support these
core values and the district goals.  It is my expectation that the goals
will guide the work of our schools and staff over the next year or two.  I
will certainly keep you posted as this important work evolves.  (I had
previously provided a link to the NPS website to learn more about the key
issues facing the school system and this process:
http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/pdf_downloads/EntryPlanUpdate.pdf )

As summer draws near and the school year concludes, please know that I
continue to be so impressed with Needham's young people and the work they
have accomplished.  Thanks for your guidance and support as I lead the
Needham Public Schools!

As always, I welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent
dan_gutekanst at nnedham.k12.ma.us