[Superintendent's Update] Welcome!

Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Tue Jan 16 15:46:01 EST 2007

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Greetings and a (belated) Happy New Year!  This email is being sent from
your new Superintendent of Schools, Dan Gutekanst, to parents of Needham
Public School students for whom we have a current email address.  I have
subscribed you to the Superintendent's email list-serve to provide you
with updated and timely school information.

I am hoping that this will be the first of several email updates you will
receive from my office throughout the second half of the school year.

First let me say that I am thrilled to be the new Superintendent of the
Needham Public Schools. This is a community that values education and
young people.  In my short time here I have observed that the students are
full of energy, the staff is talented, and the support from parents and
the community has been strong.  I am still learning a lot about the
strengths and needs of the schools, and I am eager to work with the staff,
students, parents, community, and School Committee to craft goals and
strategies that will help make an already exemplary school system even
better.

In fact, I will attend a few upcoming coffees at homes in the community,
and I encourage you to attend one of the coffees to share your ideas about
the schools and learn more about school programs and initiatives.  In
addition, the school department's administrative team would also like to
invite parents and the community to an Open House for coffee and
conversation.  This will be an opportunity for you to meet the district's
central office administrators and share your ideas, ask questions, and
just say hello.

I also urge you to increase your awareness and involvement regarding the
school budget. The School Committee will discuss and then vote on a school
budget on Tuesday, January 23rd at 7:00 p.m. at the Broadmeadow School.
 The School Committee invites you to attend or tune into this meeting.
There is no question that the public discussion of appropriate town
support for schools is critical.

Upcoming Meetings and Coffees:

•  January 23rd, 7:00 p.m.  School Committee votes on the Fiscal Year 2008
(2007-08 school year) School Budget at Broadmeadow
•  February 7th, 9:00 a.m.  Parent Coffee to discuss the school budget
with the superintendent at 30 Hollow Ridge Road (Please RSVP to Marian
Slavin at mjslavin at aol.com or 781.444.9076)
•  February 8th, 9:00 a.m.  Parent Coffee to discuss the school budget
with the superintendent at 13 Utica Road (Please RSVP to Rebecca Turner at
rcturner at rcn.com or 781.449.3442)
•  February 13th, 7:00 p.m.  Coffee and Conversation with the
superintendent at the Mitchell PTC meeting in the Mitchell Media Center
•  March 1st, 7:00 p.m.  Coffee and Conversation with the superintendent
in the Broadmeadow Media Center
•  March 20th, 9:00 a.m. Central Office Administration Open House at the
School Administration Building, 1330 Highland Ave.

I look forward to seeing you at one of the upcoming coffees or meetings.
I also will send you periodic email updates about important school issues
and reminders.  If you wish to contact me to share an idea or comment,
please email me at: dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us or call at
781.455.0400 X203.  If you would prefer not to receive these emails, you
may unsubscribe by going to:

Finally, I am thrilled to be your new superintendent and look forward to
my continued work with you, our teachers and staff, and the best students
around.

Sincerely,

Daniel Gutekanst
Superintendent of Needham Public Schools