Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Aug 29 17:24:10 EDT 2007

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Welcome back to the 2007-08 school year!  I hope and trust that you and
your family enjoyed some time together this summer to rest and relax.

As we prepare for the opening of school on Wednesday, September 5th,
please allow me to share a few updates:

•  The 2007 Needham Public Schools Performance Report has been mailed out
and should be in your home within the next few days.  The report provides
detailed information about Needham's schools, programs, and student
achievement.  We are very proud of the report and hope you find it
valuable and useful.

•  This year parents at all grade levels will be asked to correct and edit
your child's student demographic and parent emergency contact information
online.  Parents will receive a user identification number to access our
student information system, PowerSchool, to make appropriate changes with
addresses, phone contacts, email, etc.  Parents who have limited internet
access will still be able to complete changes on a form and send into the
school office.  More information and directions will be sent home with
students the first week of classes.

•  At its August 21st meeting, the School Committee reviewed and commented
on a draft statement reflecting the mission, vision, values, and goals of
the Needham Public Schools.  The draft statement is a result of the input
of hundreds of teachers, parents, staff, and students who shared key ideas
and concepts over the last several months as we worked to identify the
core values of the Needham Public Schools.

The School Committee reviewed four draft core value statements.  The
statements reflect what we most value in the Needham Public Schools:

Scholarship
Learning.  Every student engaged in dynamic and challenging academic
experiences that stimulate thinking, creativity, wellness and encourage
inquiry and continued learning. Staff improving their practice in an
environment that supports a high level of collaboration and learning
focused on helping every student learn and achieve.

Community
Working together.  A culture that embraces communication, understanding,
and the promotion of human dignity as responsibilities all students and
staff have toward one another, their schools, and a diverse local and
global community.

Citizenship
Contributing.  An environment that nurtures respect, integrity,
compassion, and service and where all members of the school community
participate fully.  Working together, sharing ideas, and encouraging
multiple perspectives ensures a vibrant and caring community.

Personal Growth
Acting courageously. All students developing skills and confidence through
personalized educational experiences that build on student strengths and
emphasize reflection, curiosity, resilience, and risk taking.

It is my expectation that these core values, once adopted by the School
Committee, will become the foundation for all of our work and planning in
the school system.  The values must guide and direct us as we work with
children and one another.  Parents and members of the community are
encouraged to provide feedback on the core values and participate in the
upcoming discussions about school goals and objectives during the
September and October School Committee meetings.  For more information
about the draft mission, vision, values, and goals please visit this link
to the Needham Public Schools website:
http://fcw4.needham.k12.ma.us/SC.Packets/SC%20packet%208-21-07.pdf?FCItemID=S02084061

•  Many thanks to the Town Manager and the many town department staff who
spent considerable time and effort preparing schools for our opening.  The
new parking lots at Mitchell and Newman look super; the buildings have
been cleaned and scrubbed; the high school will open another new wing; and
each classroom in Pollard is now equipped with additional technology,
including projectors, to enhance teaching and learning.  The cooperation
among various town and school staff to ensure the schools are ready for
students has been great and is much appreciated.

We are looking forward to greeting your child and all the students next
Wednesday, September 5th.  Let me take this opportunity to wish each young
person a successful school year!

As always, please contact me now and throughout the year with questions,
comments, and suggestions.  I can be reached at 781.455.0400, extension
203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Enjoy the Labor Day weekend!

Sincerely,

Daniel E. Gutekanst, Ed.D.